花蜜 1283
閱讀權限 50
註冊 2007-3-29
Pri. Camera:  Olympus
來自 HK
狀態 離線
發表於 2017-4-28 11:18  資料 短消息 
回覆 #18 Aland 的帖子

"Even the Amazon rainforest was once packed with human settlements and agricultural land, and that is even before Europeans reached South America. In fact, Europeans killing off 99% of the inhabitants of South America led to such rapid forest growth that the world entered a little ice age due to falling CO2 levels from the newly sequestered carbon."

this hypothesis is new to me... consider european settlement from 1490's and the killing has taken its effect in 100 years and the forest expanded so fast and consumed so much CO2 globally to initiate a little ice age in 100-300 years? the 1700's to 2000's had western industralization and CO2 increase contributing to present time global warming?

"If we view the fauna and flora as species all living on human disturbed habitats, with various degrees of present/past intervention, we will soon come to the conclusion that minimal intervention is not a possible way out for conservation. Locally, species that once lived in wetlands created by meandering rivers, grasslands maintained by elephants, or dense natural woodland, are now adapted to live in human created habitats such as abandoned paddies, fire-maintained grasslands, and abandoned tea plantations respectively. As we could never go back to the original state, some sort of intervention or active management is needed for the continued survival of these species. The problem is, this message is not coming through, even among naturalists, among which many still believe that conservation is, strictly, no intervention."

yes, indeed the complexity of changes after disturbance are hardly known at all. cf. massive locusts swam as a result(?) of mass rapid killing of common sparrows in the 50's in china, extensive changes in megafauna of the yellow stone after complete hunting of wolves in the usa...

in present day hk, reintroduction of large predators or even herbivores seemed out of the question. escaped and feral dogs and cats may contribute to top predation locally that directly affect ground animals and birds population. even the wild boars are considered "pest" by some people here. many birds are poisoned and expelled by local farmers (as late as in the 80's when some farming remained). big fishes like groupers, grunters, eels, etc are hunted to extinction with trawling and sand excavation destroyed nearly all of our natural seabed. streams and rivers are dumped with agricultural waste and pesticide rich effluents that all fishes except very tough species disappeared. i see more and more "silent" beaches, bays, shores, streams, forests and lands over the years. even when i drove deep into mainland china.

released species like Tilapia sp., Xiphophorus sp., Poecilia sp., Loricarius sp., etc have extended to many streams and water bodies with little known effects.

if one of the aim of local conservation should be to identify species to re-introduce that would ultimately contribute to "restoring" perceived or recorded past conditions and diversities after "cleaning-up" of local habitats, it could be done after short studies and public consultations given the species involved are well known.

it has come to my believe that conservation is ultimately connected with politics in the short term and public understanding, views and culture in the long term. efforts nowadays insisted continuously may see significant results only in decades (cf. anti-smoking movement).

[ 本帖最後由 jasonpoon 於 2017-4-29 07:05 編輯 ]
頂部
fai1888
幼蟲

UID 6821
Total 54
主題
回覆
精華 0
積分 101
種子 101
花蜜 54
閱讀權限 20
註冊 2017-2-20
Pri. Camera: 
狀態 離線
發表於 2017-4-28 17:07  資料 短消息 

QUOTE:
原帖由 jasonpoon 於 2017-4-28 10:21 發表

is it likely that omnivorous wild animals will try to find easy food from around human settlements. other eg include the polar bear, wolf (which becomes dog by domestication), boar (becomes pig), p ...

is it easy to cross the harbour from hk island to lantau by squirrel? i think it's now with the Tsing Ma bridge,it's easier. haha. question is if they had been released by people why it didn't survive inlantau? can the conclusion be draw by no suitable food?
   if we introduce the squirrel after reforestaion of more navtive plants and fagaceae. will they survive?
頂部
Aland
義務一級版主
Rank: 9Rank: 9Rank: 9Rank: 9Rank: 9Rank: 9Rank: 9Rank: 9Rank: 9

UID 6332
Total 628
主題
回覆
精華 0
積分 7331
種子 7331
花蜜 618
閱讀權限 150
註冊 2015-1-28
Pri. Camera: 
狀態 離線
發表於 2017-4-29 02:16  資料 文集 短消息 

QUOTE:
原帖由 jasonpoon 於 2017-4-28 11:18 發表
this hypothesis is new to me... consider european settlement from 1490's and the killing has taken its effect in 100 years and the forest expanded so fast and consumed so much CO2 globally to initiate a little ice age in 100-300 years? the 1700's to 2000's had western industralization and CO2 increase contributing to present time global warming?

I have looked up the original paper. More accurately, the event I was referring to the Colombian Encounter, which introduced old world diseases and killed off 95% of the inhabitants. These inhabitants were using fire based agricultural practices (火耕) before the Colombian Encounter and burnt down much of the natural forests. The population crash following the Colombian Encounter lead to a recovery of forests, drop in atmospheric CO2, and the Little Ice Age between 1550-1750. I'm not too shocked that the Little Ice Age came so quickly after the population crash. Forest regrowth could be extremely quick in the tropics, certain species could achieve heights of 40m in 5 years.

Here is the original paper for reference:
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00045608.2010.502432

QUOTE:
in present day hk, reintroduction of large predators or even herbivores seemed out of the question. escaped and feral dogs and cats may contribute to top predation locally that directly affect ground animals and birds population. even the wild boars are considered "pest" by some people here.

Regarding wild boars, I do understand why villagers dislike them. They destroy a significant amount of crops in fields. I actually like to think that the loss of large predators is the reason behind these problems. Without large predators, wild boars in Hong Kong seem to constantly go over its natural carrying capacity, which results in hungry boars wandering in villages or even urban areas. As much as I recognize that wild boars are an important part of the local ecosystem, such a massive population of wild boars is to some extent problematic even in a conservation standpoint. They seem to be clearing the entire understory in some of the woodlands in New Territories. I have seen woodlands with nearly no understory shrubs or plants of any kind in Fo Tan/NT northeast. I do wonder whether this is the natural state for wild boars to be so numerous and so destructive.

Nevertheless, I do agree that reintroducing large predators is a bit impractical in Hong Kong. Even if you do manage to find tigers or leopards for reintroduction, I don't think the idea would be popular among hikers and villagers living near the forest. This again, poses an interesting question. Wild boar poaching is opposed by many conservation groups. If indeed wild boars are not supposed to be that numerous, are programs controls the wild boar population as 'evil' and 'unethical' as we've originally thought?

本帖最近評分記錄
banderbear   2017-4-30 08:12  種子  +10   this is great
頂部
jasonpoon
蟲蛹

UID 869
Total 1415
主題
回覆
精華 0
積分 3203
種子 3203
花蜜 1283
閱讀權限 50
註冊 2007-3-29
來自 HK
狀態 離線
發表於 2017-4-29 07:03  資料 短消息 

QUOTE:
原帖由 Aland 於 2017-4-29 02:16 AM 發表

I have looked up the original paper. More accurately, the event I was referring to the Colombian Encounter, which introduced old world diseases and killed off 95% of the inhabitants. These inhabitant ...

this is worth more thinking... if rapid "global cooling" could happen in such a case by the (rapid) re-growth of tropical forest the size of, say, half or one-third of the amazon, then countries in the tropics having previous large rain forests could theoretically help save the present day global warming by reforestation. consider the increasing budgetary spending by the present day governments and industries, the reward and incentive for reforestation maybe good enough to be practical... given its global CO2 reduction efficacy being proven. similar thinking on whether the ocean could be a giant CO2 reservoir has been proposed decades ago but seemed not fashioned in latest news.

the population dynamics of local wild boars should therefore be studied fast and detailed enough to allow more informed conservation decision. is local farming (in the traditional way) virtually non-existent now in hk? i do not know about the present views of farmers toward boar disturbances but they are of some concern for birds, insects and boars even the Red Muntjac back in the 80's. if and how are the few "organic" farms today bothered by those "pests" are not known to me.
頂部
Aland
義務一級版主

UID 6332
Total 628
主題
回覆
精華 0
積分 7331
種子 7331
花蜜 618
閱讀權限 150
註冊 2015-1-28
Pri. Camera: 
狀態 離線
發表於 2017-4-29 08:13  資料 文集 短消息 

QUOTE:
原帖由 fai1888 於 2017-4-28 08:33 發表
越來越有趣,我都覺得系第三個原因比較似,好似猴子一樣,過渡依靠人類食物結果就唔自己找食物,並非不足夠天然食物。
  另外我昨天看過一份報告,大嶼山並不存在松鼠與果子狸。有趣地喬木比較,大嶼山只有新界的1/3喬木品種,所以數據上可能食物來源的確有頗大的限制。
果子狸是否會吃堅果? 香港植物漿果比例應該比堅果多好多,如果堅果比例多D應該就唔會競爭太激烈?

松鼠依靠人類/培栽植物為生後,population size會增長,我會相當懷疑天然環境能否支撐現有的松鼠population
反而有趣的是,赤腹松鼠自然分布其實相當接近香港
華南其他地區的赤腹松鼠究竟靠甚麼食物維生?(進而引申到,香港本來有無赤腹松鼠?)

另外你提到獼猴,多口講兩句
雖然人類食物佔獼猴food intake的一部分,但實際上獼猴亦花不少時間在林中覓食
尤其大埔滘、西貢的群族,基本上沒有人刻意喂飼
印象中有記錄獼猴取食黃牙果、山橙、以及數種外來植物(白花鬼針草、狗牙根)
而我個人見過獼猴取食斜葉榕葉片、大頭茶果實
除了金山長期有人喂飼之外,其他獼猴群族可能無想象中依賴人類

最後大嶼山問題
大嶼山不僅沒有松鼠和果子狸,更沒有小靈貓,只有善於游泳的野豬
究竟大嶼山是盤古初開已經無tree dwelling mammals,還是曾經存在過但之後locally extinct?
而以大嶼山規模,又實在比較難想象果子狸/小靈貓雙雙在港島生存下來,而大嶼山一種不留
你hypothesize大嶼山樹種少所以難支撐樹棲食果動物,並非不可能
但想問你有無份報告更詳盡的資料提供?因為據個人觀察大嶼山樹種不少.........
頂部
Aland
義務一級版主

UID 6332
Total 628
主題
回覆
精華 0
積分 7331
種子 7331
花蜜 618
閱讀權限 150
註冊 2015-1-28
Pri. Camera: 
狀態 離線
發表於 2017-4-30 00:52  資料 文集 短消息 

QUOTE:
原帖由 jasonpoon 於 2017-4-29 07:03 發表

this is worth more thinking... if rapid "global cooling" could happen in such a case by the (rapid) re-growth of tropical forest the size of, say, half or one-third of the amazon, then co ...

The carbon dioxide concentration decrease that likely contributed to the Little Ice Age is in the magnitude of 5-10ppm. The carbon dioxide increases after the industrial revolution is in the magnitude of 100-120ppm. Reforestation programmes are helpful, but I'm afraid they are insufficient to even maintain the carbon dioxide concentration at current levels (400ppm) given the high rates of carbon dioxide emissions. Not to mention that once forests are cut down and converted into human settlements/farmland or even cities, it is simply politically impossible to force people to abandon their land in a large scale.

Regarding the debate about whether the the oceans or the forest is more important in sequestering carbon dioxide. Yes, oceans are storing enormous amounts of carbon dioxide in dissolved solution form, much more than what the forests or terrestrial biomes are storing. However, I think it is meaningless to compare the absolute amount of carbon stored. Instead, we should focus on whether these systems have the potential to pull down what is in the atmosphere, i.e. net carbon sequestration. Regarding the flow of carbon between the atmosphere and forests/oceans, the numbers are as following:

Forests: 120Gt of carbon pulled down by photosynthesis, but net photosynthesis (subtracting respiration) is around 62.5Gt. Decomposition in forests account for another 60Gt release in carbon dioxide. Hence the net carbon sequestration is about 2.5Gt.
Oceans: Amount of carbon that enters the oceans is around 92.5Gt, but around 90Gt comes back out. The net 2.5Gt carbon sequestration is attributed to marine organisms, especially algae. Algae received much attention in recent years because it pulls down less carbon dioxide than forests (only around 50Gt) but achieved similar net sequestration as forests, likely due to its extremely high turnover rate.

I would say that forests and oceans sequester similar amounts of carbon if left undisturbed, both systems together contribute to a net carbon sequestration of 5Gt a year. There are indeed programmes to try to increase the ocean net carbon sequestration by fertilizing the oceans with iron to promote algal growth or storing carbon into rocks, but many of these programmes are unrealistic (If you allow me, fertilizing the sea is just stupid) and I have reservations in whether these programmes could save us.

At the end of the day, cutting the 7Gt fossil fuel+deforestration/habitat conversion emissions is really the key, but sadly, as you've mentioned, we're definitely not doing enough.

QUOTE:
the population dynamics of local wild boars should therefore be studied fast and detailed enough to allow more informed conservation decision. is local farming (in the traditional way) virtually non-existent now in hk? i do not know about the present views of farmers toward boar disturbances but they are of some concern for birds, insects and boars even the Red Muntjac back in the 80's. if and how are the few "organic" farms today bothered by those "pests" are not known to me.

I agree that the wild boar population dynamics should be studied. To convince people that wild boar going over it's carrying capacity is an issue to be dealt with, we need solid data, and educated guesses, like the ones I have stated in #24, are hardly enough to convince the authority to take action. The problem is, we simply don't know enough about the past. How effective are tigers/leopards in controlling the wild boar population? What is a 'health' population of wild boars? It is virtually impossible to obtain data from the past and make a case that the current situation is problematic..........
頂部
fai1888
幼蟲

UID 6821
Total 54
主題
回覆
精華 0
積分 101
種子 101
花蜜 54
閱讀權限 20
註冊 2017-2-20
Pri. Camera: 
狀態 離線
發表於 2017-5-2 21:31  資料 短消息 

QUOTE:
原帖由 Aland 於 2017-4-29 08:13 發表

大嶼山不僅沒有松鼠和果子狸,更沒有小靈貓,只有善於游泳的野豬
究竟大嶼山是盤古初開已經無tree dwelling mammals,還是曾經存在過但之後locally extinct?
而以大嶼山規模,又實在比較難想象果子狸/小靈貓雙雙在港島生存下來,而大嶼山一種不留
你hypothesize大嶼山樹種少所以難支撐樹棲食果動物,並非不可能
但想問你有無份報告更詳盡的資料提供?因為據個人觀察大嶼山樹種不少.........

唔好意思,呢排好忙遲左覆,以下就係個報告

圖片: lantau-spcompare.low.jpg (2017-5-2 21:31, 59.98 K)

本帖最近評分記錄
Aland   2017-5-5 02:12  種子  +10   感謝分享 Thanks for sharing !
頂部
mathew
成蟲

UID 370
Total 2479
主題
回覆
精華 0
積分 20025
種子 20025
花蜜 2460
閱讀權限 60
註冊 2006-11-17
Pri. Camera:  Nikon
來自 鏡花緣
狀態 離線
發表於 2017-5-4 20:09  資料 主頁 文集 短消息 
差啲miss左呢個咁高質既討論

無論是出於什麼原因, 重新引進物種的風險太高. 某程度上難以評估所帶來的影響/連鎖反應.

至於有些植物若因為欠缺傳播/授粉的動物而不能自然繁殖, 何不由人手培育再種回野外.
地點選擇可以是早年的植林, 無必要取締日漸稀少的草地生境.

保育不應理解為絕不干涉, 特別在香港如此密集的地方, 適當管理是必要的.
問題是
1. 何謂適當?
2. 信任管理者嗎?

#28 似乎係一個2003既研討會, 希望可以睇到全文(似是以下題目)再作討論
大嶼山的植群分布現況與其在香港生態保育之地位
The Vegetation of the Lantau Island and its Conservation Concerns

Olympus C750, TG-5, Sony QX10
Nikon D70s/D7000, AF Micro 60mm f/2.8D, AF 35mm f/2, AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6D, AFS 300mm f4, Kenko Extension Tube
討論野生植物為主
頂部
jasonpoon
蟲蛹

UID 869
Total 1415
主題
回覆
精華 0
積分 3203
種子 3203
花蜜 1283
閱讀權限 50
註冊 2007-3-29
來自 HK
狀態 離線
發表於 2017-5-5 00:36  資料 短消息 
another point: it was said many years ago by the then mainly foreign naturalists that the "fung shui" woods at the back of villages are of special interest as they may resemble the "original" flora as they are untouched due to traditional culture. any good study has been done on the surviving fung shui woods in hk?
頂部
Xoni
義務管理員

UID 2441
Total 1270
主題
回覆
精華 0
積分 6101
種子 6101
花蜜 1235
閱讀權限 200
註冊 2007-12-4
Pri. Camera: 
狀態 離線
發表於 2017-5-5 01:18  資料 文集 短消息 

QUOTE:
原帖由 Aland 於 2017-4-29 08:13 發表

松鼠依靠人類/培栽植物為生後,population size會增長,我會相當懷疑天然環境能否支撐現有的松鼠population
反而有趣的是,赤腹松鼠自然分布其實相當接近香港
華南其他地區的赤腹松鼠究竟靠甚麼食物維生?(進而引申到,香港 ...

可以參考一下:

"The most striking feature of the geographical distribution of larger mammals in Hong Kong is the absence of many species from Lantau I., despite its relatively large size (144 km2) and rugged topography that has confined development to a narrow coastal strip. The absence of macaques and tree squirrels probably reflects the absence of deliberate introductions, while the absence of the small Indian mongoose and yellow-bellied weasel is also not surprising if they have colonized Hong Kong only recently. However, Lantau also has neither civet species, nor leopard cats or porcupines, all of which occur on the smaller (78 km2) and more-developed Hong Kong I. It is possible that some of these species were never present on Lantau I., but it seems more likely that they were extirpated and have been unable to recolonize across the marine barrier, although this does not explain their survival on Hong Kong I. Indeed, porcupines have been recorded on several islands of < 2 km2 in area (Reels 1996). Within the mainland New Territories, which supports all of the recorded mammal species, most species are widespread, except for those that are likely to be recent invasions or introductions."

Pei, K. J.-C., Y.-C. Lai, R. T. Corlett, and K.-Y. Suen. 2010. The larger mammal fauna of Hong Kong: species survival in a highly degraded landscape. Zool. Stud. 49 (2): 253-264.

http://wildmic.npust.edu.tw/ezfiles/60/1060/img/1408/253.pdf

本帖最近評分記錄
Aland   2017-5-5 03:46  種子  +10   感謝分享 Thanks for sharing !
頂部
Aland
義務一級版主

UID 6332
Total 628
主題
回覆
精華 0
積分 7331
種子 7331
花蜜 618
閱讀權限 150
註冊 2015-1-28
Pri. Camera: 
狀態 離線
發表於 2017-5-5 03:19  資料 文集 短消息 

QUOTE:
原帖由 mathew 於 2017-5-4 20:09 發表
差啲miss左呢個咁高質既討論

無論是出於什麼原因, 重新引進物種的風險太高. 某程度上難以評估所帶來的影響/連鎖反應.

重新引入,代表該物種曾經在香港出現過
理論上所帶來的影響/連鎖反應,只是還原香港生態系統的舊貌?
有無實驗可以評估重新引入的物種對本地生態的影響?
如香港公園觀鳥園般,在一片本地樹林內用一個鐵網去contain一群準備重新引入的物種,藉此觀察其feeding pattern/interaction with other local species,又是否可行?

QUOTE:
至於有些植物若因為欠缺傳播/授粉的動物而不能自然繁殖, 何不由人手培育再種回野外.
地點選擇可以是早年的植林, 無必要取締日漸稀少的草地生境.

保育不應理解為絕不干涉, 特別在香港如此密集的地方, 適當管理是必要的.
問題是
1. 何謂適當?
2. 信任管理者嗎?

樓上#14的論文入面,其實都有建議在現有的灌叢/植林栽種自然更新能力低的物種

我自己就覺得,作為小規模/短期措施,去避免部分物種在短期內本地滅絕,或者改善本來生態價值低/植披結構簡單的植林,絕對可行
但個人認為,這類措施其實長遠而言並不能取替動物在天然樹林內的角色,亦好難大規模做,理由有幾個:
1. 不合符成本效益,雖然香港地方相對外國不少natural reserves細,但不規則地在全港各種生境引入a mixture of plant species成本可能比植林更高
2. 可以預期計劃只會集中於主徑/容易到達的生境,對維持香港整體植披結構效用成疑
3. 一個生境不存在指定植物物種,有時可能是生境不適合其生長所致,由人手改變植物自然分佈並非良策,亦有機會影響本來在該處生長的其他植物

實際上,由人手去栽種自然更新能力低、較為罕有的植物物種,本地有先例
印象中政府曾經在港島做過蘭花遷地保育
最後因為存活率太低,又無成本效益而放棄
固然上面提到既殼斗科/茶科植物作遷地保育的存活率,應該會高過高度依賴fungal mycorrhizal interactions的蘭花
但大規模去做我覺得可行性仍然不高,效果亦遠遠不及用動物去做
頂部
Aland
義務一級版主

UID 6332
Total 628
主題
回覆
精華 0
積分 7331
種子 7331
花蜜 618
閱讀權限 150
註冊 2015-1-28
Pri. Camera: 
狀態 離線
發表於 2017-5-5 03:46  資料 文集 短消息 

QUOTE:
原帖由 jasonpoon 於 2017-5-5 00:36 發表
another point: it was said many years ago by the then mainly foreign naturalists that the "fung shui" woods at the back of villages are of special interest as they may resemble the "ori ...

To me, feng shui woods are unlikely to be very natural. Although kept a woodland, villagers often plant fruit trees and many economic tree species in them. However, since almost all other lowland forests are gone during years of cultivation and WWII, these little disturbed patches are probably the best we've got.
頂部
fai1888
幼蟲

UID 6821
Total 54
主題
回覆
精華 0
積分 101
種子 101
花蜜 54
閱讀權限 20
註冊 2017-2-20
Pri. Camera: 
狀態 離線
發表於 2017-5-5 09:56  資料 短消息 

QUOTE:
原帖由 Aland 於 2017-5-5 03:19 發表

實際上,由人手去栽種自然更新能力低、較為罕有的植物物種,本地有先例
印象中政府曾經在港島做過蘭花遷地保育
最後因為存活率太低,又無成本效益而放棄
固然上面提到既殼斗科/茶科植物作遷地保育的存活率,應該會高過高度依賴fungal mycorrhizal interactions的蘭花
但大規模去做我覺得可行性仍然不高,效果亦遠遠不及用動物去做 ...

假設大嶼山的物種的確比其他香地方少很多,我們多種原生植物後,say 20年後,再加上多一些rodents,如松鼠;理論上松鼠應該再不需要靠人類食物,因爲國外松鼠在殼斗科植物的確有很多文獻support.
  以香港氣候,應該多d evergreen board leaf sp. 如殼斗科。大嶼山與大東山上一些能逃過2戰的砍伐與山火小林,應該給我們多一些線索我們原來的物種。風水林與一小塊的劫後餘生(林)應該能夠給我們參考原來面貌。
  既然2戰我們幾乎全部破壞了大部分樹林與相關動物,我們該儘量恢復戰前的面貌。
我自己觀察到香港島好似殼斗科植物比較多而且成林,香港常見的都可以找到,這能不能講系松鼠功勞?之前有research提過松鼠有30-40%還是會以原生植物爲糧食的.
頂部
jasonpoon
蟲蛹

UID 869
Total 1415
主題
回覆
精華 0
積分 3203
種子 3203
花蜜 1283
閱讀權限 50
註冊 2007-3-29
來自 HK
狀態 離線
發表於 2017-5-5 11:26  資料 短消息 

QUOTE:
原帖由 Aland 於 2017-5-5 03:46 AM 發表

To me, feng shui woods are unlikely to be very natural. Although kept a woodland, villagers often plant fruit trees and many economic tree species in them. However, since almost all other lowland for ...

I lived for some years in a Lantau's village before. the fung shui wood behind indeed has no access path and remain undisturbed (as far as known) for fung shui purpose. the fruit trees are planted in front of the village, mainly 黃皮 & 龍眼, further are some poultry cages and the cultivated fields.
頂部
jasonpoon
蟲蛹

UID 869
Total 1415
主題
回覆
精華 0
積分 3203
種子 3203
花蜜 1283
閱讀權限 50
註冊 2007-3-29
來自 HK
狀態 離線
發表於 2017-5-5 12:09  資料 短消息 

QUOTE:
原帖由 fai1888 於 2017-5-5 09:56 AM 發表

假設大嶼山的物種的確比其他香地方少很多,我們多種原生植物後,say 20年後,再加上多一些rodents,如松鼠;理論上松鼠應該再不需要靠人類食物,因爲國外松鼠在殼斗科植物的確有很多文獻support.
  以香港氣候,應該多d evergree ...

the fact that the HK Island maybe more similar to the "original" flora & fauna may has several hypotheses:

1. pre-1842 colonial period, hk island being hilly may have relatively little farmers but mainly fishermen settling at boats or near shore. thereby the hilly forests are relatively spared of human influence. the legendary waterfall ex pokfulam area as told by age old fishermen gave out "fragrant" or "sweet" freshwater for fishermen to collect. its been another suggestion for the origin of the name of hong kong.

2. post-1842 colonial period, hk island being the main British settlment would see mainly commercial and residential develoments near shore and up to "mid-levels". this preserved better the flora and fauna in the hills and over the industrialization period. the British used HK mainly as a trading port rather than a factory and the elites and aristocrats build houses in mid-levels thereby further protected the woods around their residence.

3. the kowloon peninsula south of the lion rock should have lost all of the flora or fauna due to settlement, reclamation and later massive immigration. it should originally be a sandy cove and some lowland forests.

4. NT area north of the lion rock should be some shrubland ("thorn-land" was the past name for shatin), extensive lowland forests before major agriculture development. wellknown old settlements may extend about 500 years back. some very old settlements maybe there even around 秦漢 period. the major indigenous 圍村 settlements may also starting from late Song Dynasty.

5. isolated neolithic settlements have been excavated eg. in Lamma Island. these areas though originally rich in megafauna are influenced critically by human early in history. the original flora and fauna may only be inferred from possible lesser developed SE Asian regions or the Subtropical Oriental Region zoogeographically.

6. Concerning the Island of Lantau, it is likely that lowlands are settled and disturbed quite early. consider the nearby 屯門 and 東涌炮台, the place should be critically deforested, cultivated and hunted around the Song period. any major hill fire could also have devastated the hill forests. it may have become mainly a hilly grassland / badland habitat with lowland cultivations around eg. Sha Lo Wan, Tung Chung, Mui Wo and Pui O areas for several hundred years. continuous small scale deforestation was noted as late as in the 1970's by myself. the result maybe the extinction of forest megafauna while lowland herbivores and omnivores ie. Muntiacus reevesi and Sus scrofa remained.

[ 本帖最後由 jasonpoon 於 2017-5-5 16:42 編輯 ]
頂部
fai1888
幼蟲

UID 6821
Total 54
主題
回覆
精華 0
積分 101
種子 101
花蜜 54
閱讀權限 20
註冊 2017-2-20
Pri. Camera: 
狀態 離線
發表於 2017-5-5 13:11  資料 短消息 

QUOTE:
原帖由 jasonpoon 於 2017-5-5 12:09 發表

the fact that the HK Island maybe more similar to the "original" flora & fauna may has several hypotheses:

1. pre-1842 colonial period, hk island being hilly may have relatively litt ...

As far as I know the forest HK Island is also a secondary forest after the WW2, many early pictures supported that, HK island was a bare hill side. But since HK Island is important in political and economic perspective, on the protection of hill fire and forest rehabitation. It's recovered very well. But how close is that to the original one?
頂部
Aland
義務一級版主

UID 6332
Total 628
主題
回覆
精華 0
積分 7331
種子 7331
花蜜 618
閱讀權限 150
註冊 2015-1-28
Pri. Camera: 
狀態 離線
發表於 2017-5-5 14:47  資料 文集 短消息 

QUOTE:
原帖由 jasonpoon 於 2017-5-5 11:26 發表

I lived for some years in a Lantau's village before. the fung shui wood behind indeed has no access path and remain undisturbed (as far as known) for fung shui purpose. the fruit trees are planted i ...

You are probably right about villagers mainly planting fruit trees in front instead of behind the village, but as far as I know, villagers also utilize the margins of the Fung Shui woods to plant fruit trees, and I do recall seeing some fruit trees (龍眼、荔枝、烏欖、白欖) in Feng Shui woods.

Apart from fruit trees, I vaguely recall that many villages use Fung Shui woods as a source of timber. That may explain the abundance of certain tree species associated with timber production in Fung Shui woods. An example is  Cinnamomum camphora, the Camphor tree. This species, although listed as a common native, seems to be quite rare in secondary forests and forest further away from village settlements, but populations of very large trees are often found in Fung Shui woods. I suspect villagers plant them deliberately for its high quality timber, and its presence is probably an evidence of human disturbance in Fung Shui woods.

Again, we have to keep in mind that Fung Shui woods being disturbed habitats doesn't undermine the importance of these quite ancient fragments of forests. Many plant and animal species are restricted to Fung Shui woods, and the structure of these fragments are likely are best guess of what the original lowland forests looks like.

Here is a report from a study done by AFCD on plants in Fung Shui woods:
https://www.afcd.gov.hk/english/publications/publications_con/files/hkbonewsletter8.pdf
頂部
jasonpoon
蟲蛹

UID 869
Total 1415
主題
回覆
精華 0
積分 3203
種子 3203
花蜜 1283
閱讀權限 50
註冊 2007-3-29
來自 HK
狀態 離線
發表於 2017-5-5 15:27  資料 短消息 
"... Cinnamomum camphora, the Camphor tree. This species, although listed as a common native, seems to be quite rare in secondary forests and forest further away from village settlements, but populations of very large trees are often found in Fung Shui woods. I suspect villagers plant them deliberately for its high quality timber, and its presence is probably an evidence of human disturbance in Fung Shui woods."

Can we argue in reverse? C. camphora was indeed very abundant in original lowland forest of HK and indeed S. China. the idea of re-cultivating trees for timber should be rare among early farmers in HK. why they do not plant in open deforested area but instead in their revered Fung Shui woods?

how long does it need to wait for planted camphor trees to grow to good timber size? that physiology of the tree i do not know.    but camphor timber with its characteristic strong smell is good for stoage boxes (樟木櫳) rather than used for furnitures and house building. the demand for camphor in large amount is questionable.

"Again, we have to keep in mind that Fung Shui woods being disturbed habitats doesn't undermine the importance of these quite ancient fragments of forests. Many plant and animal species are restricted to Fung Shui woods, and the structure of these fragments are likely are best guess of what the original lowland forests looks like."

alas, while the floral composition maybe there, the too small size of the forest could not sustain the megafauna which disappeared dispite the final hiding places. if any sessile species may survive and breed in those Fung Shui woods separately, those woods may act as isolating islands and undergone genetic drift and possible speciation... look for evidence in wingless insects and worms maybe...
頂部
mathew
成蟲

UID 370
Total 2479
主題
回覆
精華 0
積分 20025
種子 20025
花蜜 2460
閱讀權限 60
註冊 2006-11-17
Pri. Camera:  Nikon
來自 鏡花緣
狀態 離線
發表於 2017-5-5 16:06  資料 主頁 文集 短消息 
回覆 #32 Aland 的帖子

其實我深受Jurassic Park的概念影響
重新引入herbivore, 大自然會怎樣調整population?
1. 缺乏食物?
會否在飢餓前過度採食 / 人類餵飼令population高於自然承載量 / ...
2. 由carnivore捕食?
現存野外的carnivore能否勝任 / 引入carnivore / ...
3. ......

目前我們真的對環境有足夠認識去引入物種嗎?
不時看到野豬的新聞, 十分懷疑香港能承載更多動物的條件.

回覆 #37 fai1888 的帖子
一直討論原始植被, 原生動物.
請問如何定下界線?
i. 以地厘分布尚有間斷分布的難題;
ii. 若論從前(時間)有某物種, 應以那一標準決定? 討論間有提及宋朝, 1842年前/後, WWII, 何時存活於此地謂原生?

Olympus C750, TG-5, Sony QX10
Nikon D70s/D7000, AF Micro 60mm f/2.8D, AF 35mm f/2, AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6D, AFS 300mm f4, Kenko Extension Tube
討論野生植物為主
頂部

Untitled Document

當前時區 GMT+8, 現在時間是 2019-11-15 06:44