HK Firefly Survey Team 香港螢火蟲調查隊
First Recruitment 第一期招募
Firefly diversity in Hong Kong is surprisingly high, 29 species have been reported, of which 9 species are endemic to Hong Kong. More species are yet to be discovered. However, immature stages of most species are still not known, distribution and population data are deficient for all species. On the other hand, the very high human population density in Hong Kong are causing various threats to the survival of these curious living organisms. Examples are habitat loss, habitat degradation, land pollution and light pollution.
In 2018, Firefly Specialist Group was established under The International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), Species Survival Commission, targeting at Red List assessment of 1-10 flagship firefly species and 100-200 species by 2021. Hong Kong is going to actively participate in the project.
In order to conserve local firefly diversity, we need to know more about them, especially distribution and population of each species. We need to collect data systematically and comprehensively. Currently, firefly watchers, surveyors and researchers are highly deficient.
Missions of Hong Kong Firefly Survey Team
1. For conservation purpose, conduct persistent and systematic surveys on Hong Kong fireflies;
2. To bring together people involved in firefly conservation and research to exchange knowledge;
3. For advancement and diffusion of knowledge in Hong Kong fireflies;
1-year program of Hong Kong Firefly Survey Team
A. 4 lectures
on firefly biology, firefly ecology, firefly morphology and anatomy, firefly classification, firefly identification, firefly survey methods, skills and safety.
July 4 2020 (Sat) 19:00 - 21:00 ;
July 8 2020 (Wed) 19:00 - 21:00;
July 15 2020 (Wed) 19:00 - 21:00;
July 22 2020 (Wed) 19:00 - 21:00
B. at least 6 practical trainings
in the wild;
August 1, 2020 (Sat) 19:00 - 22:00;
August 8, 2020 (Sat) 19:00 - 22:00;
August 22, 2020 (Sat) 19:00 - 22:00;
October 24, 2020 (Sat) 18:00 - 21:00;
November 14 (Sat) 2020 18:00 - 21:00
December 12 (Sat) 2020 18:00 - 21:00
C. at least 5 additional field surveys
done by each team member;
D. at least 2 meetings
on data processing and evaluation.
December 16 (Wed) 2020 19:00 - 21:00
June 9 (Wed) 2020 19:00 - 21:00
- Author of : A Study of Rhagophthalmidae and Lampyridae in Hong Kong with descriptions of new species (Coleoptera): Part 1 & Part 2; Fireflies of Hong Kong 香港螢火蟲
- IUCN SSC Red List Authority Coordinator
- Treasurer, Fireflyers International Network
Commitments of individual team member:
1. 100% attendance to lectures;
2. at least 60% attendance to practical trainings;
3. at least 5 additional field surveys done;
4. at least 50% attendance to meetings.
HKES member HK$1800; Non-member HK$ 2000 (travelling expenses not included), payable to Hong Kong Entomological Society
HK$1600 will be refunded to everyone who has fulfilled all of the above 4 commitments.
1. 18 years of age or older
2. Strong interest on fireflies and conservation;
3. Macro-photography and videography skills;
4. Preferably with education background of zoology, entomology and/or ecology;
5. Happy to work at night in the wild;
6. Able to walk fast and far on trails;
7. Familiar with trails in Hong Kong;
8. HKES members have priority.
How to join:
Before June 20, 2020
. Click the following link and fill in required information to join.
Applicants will be notified on or before June 27. Accepted applicants pay the program fee before July 3, 2020.